Current Classes & Special Promotions!
- Browse The 2015 Annual Catalog—See the latest products!
- Browse The Holiday Catalog—All-new seasonal stamps, papers & accents!
- Countdown To Christmas Series—November features Flurry of Wishes.
- Stamper Sampler—Try 4 cool background techniques! October 8, 6:30pm.
- Stamp-of-the-Month—Featuring Happy Scenes. October 20. Registration by October 6.
- Paper Pumpkin Turns Pink—Stampin' Up donating for every subscriber by Oct. 10.
- Weekly Deals—New specials announced every Tuesday!
- Clearance Rack—Discounted retired merchandise!
Hi Stamping Friends!Today, I'm sharing another technique from my upcoming Stamper Sampler: Too Cool Backgrounds class! This one is so easy to do and SO MUCH FUN!
- Sponge or brayer on the lightest "spotlight" color. In this case, I used Tempting Turquoise ink.
- Sponge on a medium shade along the top half. I used Night of Navy ink.
- Sponge on a dark color over the medium shade. I used Blackberry Bliss.
- Dip your fingertips into a cup of water and flick on water droplets!
As the water droplets dry, they pull the color away and lighten! So cool!
TIP #1: I prefer to use a brayer for the first layer of ink to really saturate the paper. You need really good ink coverage for this to work properly.
TIP #2: When sponging, rub in small circles that start off the edge of the card stock for a smoother looking blend. If you start rubbing the ink-loaded sponge on the card stock first, it will leave a heavy ink mark.
TIP #3: After you dip your finger tips in the water, I dabbed them once on scrap paper to eliminate some of the water, so I didn't have huge droplets of water. Less water is better.
If you want to see this technique in action, watch Lydia's Magic of H2O video.
- Layered Decorative Masking
- The Magic of H2O
- Pillow Top Background
- Spotlight Bleaching
Class Fee: $15 or FREE with a minimum qualifying order. More details coming soon!
Two Cool—For my second version, I stepped up the same card a bit! Notice that huge water drops? That was how I learned that it was a good idea to use less water! You don't want to have big droplets hanging off of your fingertips. Flick them off or dab them off first.
- Stamps—Jingle All The Way (clear, wood) OR Jingle All The Way Bundle (clear, wood)
- Ink—Tempting Turquoise, Night of Navy & Blackberry Bliss (card #1 & #2); Pool Party, Marina Mist & Island Indigo (card #3 & #4) Classic Ink Pads
- Paper—Whisper White card stock
- Accessories—Dazzling Diamonds (card #2 & #4)
- Tools—Sleigh Ride Edgelits OR Jingle All The Way Bundle (clear, wood), Big Shot, Sponges, 2-Way Glue Pen (card #2 & #4) Glue Dots, SNAIL
I'd Love To Hear From You! Leave me a comment at the bottom of the page!